We have all been there before. You just finished your business in the bathroom and press the switch to flush the bowl. To your horror, the water starts rising instead of falling. You panic for a bit, and some water spills over onto your floor.
Now you have to wonder how to unclog the toilet that still has waste in it. Read on to figure out how to solve this annoying yet common problem.
Here are some common reasons why poop is clogging your toilet:
10 Tips to Unclog a Toilet with Poop in it
Fortunately, fixing a toilet clogged with poo is not that difficult. There are a ton of DIY techniques you can use to fix a clogged toilet.
- 1Plunger - The plunger is the classic method of unclogging a toilet. Simply place the plunger directly over the hole in the bottom of the hole, push down, and then pull up. The suction should draw anything out of the u-bend so the toilet can drain properly.
- 2Toilet auger - A toilet auger is basically a long wire with ridges you can spin around. You insert the wire into the hole of your toilet bowl, find the clog and twist the auger until it breaks up the clog.
- 3Metal cloth hanger - if you do not have a toilet auger, then you can often accomplish the same sort of function with a simple metal coat hanger. Unbend the coat hanger and stick it into the hole, wriggling it around to break up any clogs.
- 4Baking soda and plastic wrap - You can also use baking soda to clean clogs. The baking soda eats away at organic clogs, and the plastic wrap keeps the gasses in, which eventually pushes the clog out.
- 5Baking soda and vinegar - Baking soda and vinegar mixed together to create a solution that can dissolve clogs in your pipes. You can then flush the drain with hot water to clear everything out.
- 6Hot water and dish soap - Hot water and dish soap can also be a solution. The combination of the two will de-grease the pipes and let any clogged waste slide through the drain. You can also just use hot water to clear out clogged u-bends.
- 7Use Coca-Cola and plastic foil - Coca-cola can also be used to unclog a toilet. Coca-Cola has carbonic acid in it, which can eat away at clogs and grease in your toilet. Add some coke, put foil wrap over the toilet seat, and let it sit for a few hours.
- 8Use shampoo - It might surprise you, but shampoo can be used to clear a clogged toilet. Shampoo has ingredients that break up organic residue and clumps, and they will work on waste. I guess it's called shamPOO for a reason, right?
- 9Bleach - As always, bleach is very effective for stubborn clogs and build-up. Bleach will cut through any organic solids and clear grime off the inside of pipes. Don’t use concentrated bleach, though, as that can damage your pipes. Make a mixture of 2 parts water to 1 part bleach.
- 10Conventional chemicals - You can also always opt to use conventional substances for clearing drains like Draino. Just make sure that whatever you are buying will not be harmful to your pipes. Metal and plastic pipes handle different chemicals differently.
Maybe it's time for a new toilet? Read out list of the top toilets here.
How to Prevent the Toilet from Clogging
Here are some quick tips on how to prevent the toilet from clogging.
People also Ask (FAQs)
What happens if you flush a clogged toilet?
If you flush a clogged toilet, then water will probably overflow because the drain at the bottom is blocked.
What won’t my toilet unclog with a plunger?
If a plunger doesn’t work, then it’s probably because the clog is further into the pipe than the plunger can reach. Switch to an auger or coat hanger to really get in there.
Will poop dissolve in a clogged toilet?
Typically yes, poop stuck in a toilet will dissolve over time and unclog itself. But it might take a while, and in the meantime, it will smell and look gross.
Does bleach help unclog a toilet?
Yes, bleach can unclog a poopy toilet, but concentrated bleach can also hurt your pipes and toilet bowl. Water down the bleach first before pouring it in.
Poop in a toilet is annoying but not an emergency. However, you still want to clear that clog as quickly as possible before it develops into a more serious issue.