Over the year, as the seasons shift, debris often falls from garden trees of warm breezes to land on your roof. On windy and rainy days, this debris can get caught in your gutter system, creating blockages.
Gutter guards are designed to prevent debris from getting into gutters – do gutters with gutter guards need to be cleaned? Read on to discover our tips on caring for your drain.
Page Contents (Click Icon To Open/Close)
5 Reasons Why Gutter Guards Need to Be Cleaned Regularly
Prevent water damage
A blocked drain can prevent your gutter from draining correctly. This encourages pooling around the gutter area, weighing the gutter down; this can cause corrosion or breakage of the gutter, damaging your home.
Protect your roof
If debris is allowed to block your gutter guard, flood water is encouraged to pool around the gutter and not drain. If left untreated, this water can seep into your roof, causing rotting or leaking.
Keep pests from causing trouble
Damp debris is the perfect home for many insects and animals. While this is fine for a forest floor, this can be dangerous for your home. Remove the debris to prevent animal or insect infestations in your home.
Reduce the risk of a cracked foundation
Improper maintenance of gutter drains prevents water from moving away from your home’s foundation. This allows it to pool around your foundation.
While that may not seem like an issue, your foundation expands and contracts naturally over the year; water can get into cracks, making them worse with each expansion and contraction.
Save you money
With all of the above in mind, it is easy to feel concerned about what this kind of damage could do to your home. Thankfully, a little bit of cleaning a few times a year can prevent you from spending big bucks on unexpected repairs.
How Often Should Gutter with Gutter Guards be Cleaned?
Gutter guards are typically installed in three- to six-foot panels along your gutter. This means that there are often small gaps between boards that get wider over time. Because of this, debris can get into your drain and cause problems.
We recommend inspecting and cleaning your gutter at least twice a year, in spring and fall, respectively, or if you notice the water is not draining as it should. This applies most to homes surrounded by forests or trees. Focus on the areas between panels and attempt to adjust them if possible.
How to Clean Gutter With Gutter Guards: Step By Step Guide
Need to know how to clean gutters that have gutter guards on them? We have just the trick:
- 1Put on your protective gear and place drop cloths under where you will be working.
- 2While you can use a rope to secure your ladder, we recommend having a friend or family member hold your ladder and spot you.
- 3Climb the ladder with your bucket containing your tools. Always maintain at least three points of contact with the ladder while using it.
- 4Remove the gutter guards according to the manufacturer’s instructions. Place the guards on a safe section of the roof or pass them down to your helper. Some guards use clips or snaps or perhaps brushes to keep them in place – read the manual carefully and follow accordingly.
- 5Collect the leaves and debris with your hands and brush. Some harder or stuck pieces may need extra convincing, in which case carefully going at it with a garden spade or other solid tool may help. Finally, scoop the displaced debris into your bucket, passing it down to your helper to dispose of if necessary.
- 6Have your family friend or member pass you a garden hose to give them a final rinse. A hose with a pistol-grip or similar function will be very effective as you can control the pressure.
- 7Once completely clean, replace the gutter guards and fix or replace them if necessary.
- 8Rinse again, checking that your downspouts are not clogged and that water is moving away from your home’s foundation. If not, take apart your downspout or request professional help.
People also Ask (FAQs)
What gets stuck in gutter guards?
Any number of things can get stuck in your gutter guard:
And many more! Precisely what is in your gutters will depend on your local area, but this is an idea of common finds.
How much does it cost to have someone clean your gutters?
It can cost between $90 and $250 depending on your local area, the size of your home, and the number of stories it has. Contact a local professional for an exact quote.
When should a gutter guard be replaced?
A gutter guard should be replaced when broken, corroded, or continuously not working as it should despite maintenance and cleaning procedures. You can typically reorder new ones from the brand’s website or on sites like Amazon.
Taking proper care of your gutters means semi-regular inspections and cleaning. However, knowing how to clean gutters with gutter guards can save you time and money in the long run – keep on top of it and reap the benefits during the colder seasons.
Josh enjoys researching, testing and diving into home improvement & DIY products. He has a passion for tools, learning new skills and fixing the everyday problems that arise around the house.